mecwacare is committed to ensuring the ongoing health and safety of our vulnerable residents.
To date, all but one of our 13 facilities have remained coronavirus-free. Your support and cooperation are needed to help us keep it that way.
Please observe and respect our visitor arrangements and safety precautions to help prevent the spread of infection in our residential aged care facilities. This is a shared responsibility and we must all remain extremely vigilant.
To help reduce the risk of infection, mecwacare implemented a range of robust infection prevention and control measures when the pandemic began that go beyond the official guidance to protect our residents.
Recently, the Australian Government advised aged care providers to escalate their outbreak prevention measures due to the widespread community transmission in Victoria. This advice includes discouraging visitors from attending facilities – except when the visit is for caregiving and compassionate reasons.
mecwacare has temporarily suspended non-essential in-room visits and enhanced window visits. Essential visits for special needs, including assessed deterioration and palliative care are still available and new admissions will continue to be accepted – unless there is an outbreak.
All essential in-room visitors will be temperature checked, required to answer the four screening questions related to COVID-19, expected to practise good hand hygiene, wear the appropriate PPE and adhere to physical distancing rules, at all times. Please respect our staff when they ask you to comply with these safety measures.
• We continue to support residents with video calls using Skype, Zoom or Facetime and phone calls.
• Window visits, whereby the facility will make sure your loved one is at an external, public-facing window or balcony at an agreed time so you can say hello from outside. Just call reception in your residential home to organise a visit.
• In-person visits: enhanced glass room (maximum 20 minutes). TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED DUE TO STAGE 4 RESTRICTIONS IN METROPOLITAN MELBOURNE AND STAGE 3 RESTRICTIONS IN REGIONAL VICTORIA
• In-room visits: for next of kin/power of attorney (maximum 60 minutes within the building, including screening time at reception) with a maximum of two in-room visits per week. TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED DUE TO STAGE 4 RESTRICTIONS IN METROPOLITAN MELBOURNE AND STAGE 3 RESTRICTIONS IN REGIONAL VICTORIA
• In-room visits: for special needs, including assessed deterioration i.e. a fall, decline in health or behaviour, maximum of 30 minutes per visit per day. All requests for special needs visits are based on a clinical assessment of the resident and their needs. PPE will be required.
• In-room visits: for palliative care, maximum of two hours per visit per day. PPE will be required.
• In-room visits: for new admissions, maximum 60 minutes within the building, including screening time at reception per day. PPE will be required.
Each site will have a maximum number of visitors per visiting hour and per day.
Monday to Friday, 10am-4pm
Saturday and Sunday, 1pm to 5pm
All visits must be booked in advance through reception, which is available seven days from 9am to 4.30pm.
Allocated staff will support the visits to assist you and your loved one.
Please do not visit:
• If you are unwell, with any illness or symptoms, even if they are mild
• If you have recently returned from overseas travel to any country – self-isolation for 14 days is a mandatory requirement by law
• If you have been in contact with someone who has had a confirmed or suspected case of coronavirus, or who has declared that they have travelled overseas recently.
During your visit:
• Complete the sign-in sheet before you enter the home, which includes the four COVID-19 screening questions
• Undertake a temperature check
• Wear a face mask and/or face shield, gown and gloves
• Wash your hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand sanitiser before and after your visit
• Adhere to the timeframes for each visit (as per above)
• You may only visit in your loved one’s room or in an outdoor area
• Keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres from your loved one and others in the home
• Respect our staff and comply with the safety measures.
Help prevent the spread of infection
Everyone can help prevent the spread of infection by practising good hand hygiene and maintaining a physical distance (1.5 metres) from other people.
Simple steps to stop the spread:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
• Use a tissue and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, or cough into your elbow or upper arm. Dispose of tissues in the bin.
• Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth
• Wear a face mask or face covering in public – this is mandatory by law
• Stay at home if you are unwell
• Continue healthy habits (drink water, eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and get enough sleep)
• Avoid close contact with people outside your immediate family or household members (such as touching or shaking hands).
For information about the coronavirus, including symptoms, risks, travel and prevention advice, visit the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) coronavirus website at www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
Further information from the Older Persons Advocacy Network can also be found by clicking here
If you have any questions or feedback, please do not hesitate to contact the Facility Manager at the relevant site or call mecwacare on 1800 163 292.
Please note: In the event of an outbreak, mecwacare will contact the residents’ power of attorney or next of kin directly. It is their responsibility to notify other family members.
You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your ongoing support and cooperation.
Do you have a question about the coronavirus? Please email us at email@example.com
3905 Frankston-Flinders Road
Shoreham Vic 3916
P: 03 5989 5588
111 Country Club Drive
Safety Beach Vic 3936
P: 03 5981 7288
12-14 Beulah Street
Hamlyn Heights Vic 3215
P: 03 5277 3081
mecwacare John Atchison Centre
312 - 318 Derrimut Road
Hoppers Crossing Vic 3028
P: 03 8015 2888
52 Northcote Avenue
Caulfield North Vic 3161
P: 03 8567 8288
1245 Malvern Road
Malvern Vic 3144
P: 03 9248 6100
mecwacare Noel Miller Centre
9-15 Kent Street
Glen Iris Vic 3146
P: 03 9835 2333
15 Hunter Road
Traralgon Vic 3844
P: 03 5174 4628
160 Mornington-Tyabb Road
Mornington Vic 3931
P: 03 5975 2700
mecwacare Rositano House
273 Church Street
Richmond Vic 3121
P: 03 9427 1404
13-25 Strabane Avenue
Mont Albert Nth Vic 3129
P: 03 9898 7404
70 Charles Street
Prahran Vic 3181
P: 03 9510 6100
125-135 Kenny Street
Westmeadows Vic 3049
P: 03 9333 3022