mecwacare is committed to ensuring the ongoing health and safety of our vulnerable residents.
At the time of writing this, all 13 sites are coronavirus-free. Your support and cooperation are needed to help us keep it that way.
Until there is a vaccine, the virus remains a risk.
Please observe and respect our visitor arrangements and safety precautions to help prevent the spread of infection in our homes. This is a shared responsibility, and we must all remain extremely vigilant.
All in-room visits have now resumed.
We will be maintaining a cautious approach to reopening our homes. We acknowledge that the past few months have been very challenging for you and your loved ones, but our top priority has always been to keep our vulnerable residents safe. We thank you for your patience, understanding and support.
We will continue to welcome new admissions – unless there is an outbreak.
Thermal imaging cameras are now in operation at the Malvern Centre in Malvern, Noel Miller Centre in Glen Iris, John Atchison Centre in Hoppers Crossing and Elstoft House in Hamlyn Heights (Geelong). If visiting these sites, please check your temperature before the visit commences.
Please note: Bookings are not required for in-room or garden visits. Please call reception if you need any assistance.
mecwacare staff and all visitors will continue to wear face masks inside until further notice.
Children under 16 are welcome to visit, but they must be accompanied by an adult and children over the age of 12 must wear a face mask.
All approved visitors and suppliers to mecwacare facilities, including hairdressers, while inside any facilities, must wear single-use face masks at all times.
Please respect our staff when they ask you to comply with these safety measures.
• We continue to support residents with video calls using Skype, Zoom or FaceTime and phone calls. Please contact reception to arrange one of these.
• Window visits, whereby the facility will make sure your loved one is at an external, public-facing window or balcony at an agreed time so you can say hello from outside. Please call reception to arrange a window visit.
• Garden visits (all gardens) are available. Upon arrival, visitors must check their temperature, use hand sanitiser, answer the COVID-19 screening questions and sign an attestation. Visitors may remove their mask when outdoors – but please maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres at all times. All visitors will be required to wipe down the seating with alcohol wipes at the end of the visit (mecwacare will provide wipes).
• In-person visits: enhanced glass room (maximum 20 minutes). Visitors utilising the enhanced window option will be required to wear a face mask only, use hand sanitiser upon entry and exit to the facility, and wipe down the seating at the end of the visit. Please call reception to arrange an enhanced window visit.
• In-room visits: (maximum 60 minutes within the building, including screening time at reception) Visits must be in the resident’s room and not in common areas, such as a lounge, dining room or library. Visitors must wear a face mask. Residents will have the option of wearing a face mask or face shield, if they choose. Please maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres at all times.
• In-room visits: for special needs, including assessed deterioration i.e. a fall, decline in health or behaviour. Visitors are no longer required to wear full PPE. Face masks only are required as well as the same procedure for indoor and outdoor visits, as outlined above.
• In-room visits: for palliative care. Visitors are no longer required to wear full PPE. Face masks only are required as well as the same procedure for indoor and outdoor visits, as outlined above.
• In-room visits: for new admissions. Visitors are no longer required to wear full PPE. Face masks only are required as well as the same procedure for indoor and outdoor visits, as outlined above.
Each site will have a maximum number of visitors per visiting hour and per day to comply with the government’s density requirements.
Outings into the community will continue to be supported, however when the resident returns to the home, they will be required to have their temperature checked and to use hand sanitiser.
If you do leave the home, please limit the risk of exposure as much as possible by avoiding high-density activities and crowded places such as shopping centres.
Family members or friends taking residents out must have their temperature checked on arrival at the home, use hand sanitiser, answer the COVID-19 screening questions and sign an attestation before leaving with the resident. Wearing PPE such as face masks is highly recommended. Gowns for the resident are also available upon request. Again, this is a recommendation only.
Please do not visit:
• If you are unwell, with any illness or symptoms, even if they are mild
• If you have recently returned from overseas travel to any country – self-isolation for 14 days is a mandatory requirement by law
• If you have recently returned from an area that has been deemed a high-risk location by health authorities
• If you have been in contact with someone who has had a confirmed or suspected case of coronavirus, or who has declared that they have travelled overseas recently or spent time in a high-risk location.
During your visit:
• Complete the sign-in sheet before you enter the home, which includes the COVID-19 screening questions, and sign the attestation
• Undertake a temperature check by staff or via the thermal imaging cameras (where available)
• Wear the appropriate PPE for the type of visit, as outlined above
• Wash your hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand sanitiser before and after your visit
• Keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres from your loved one and others in the home
• Respect our staff and comply with the safety measures.
Help prevent the spread of infection
Everyone can help prevent the spread of infection by practising good hand hygiene and maintaining a physical distance (1.5 metres) from other people.
Simple steps to stop the spread:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
• Use a tissue and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, or cough into your elbow or upper arm. Dispose of tissues in the bin.
• Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth
• Wear a face mask in public – this is mandatory by law
• Stay at home if you are unwell
• Continue healthy habits (drink water, eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and get enough sleep)
• Avoid close contact with people outside your immediate family or household members (such as touching or shaking hands).
For information about the coronavirus, including symptoms, risks, travel and prevention advice, visit the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) coronavirus website at https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
Further information from the Older Persons Advocacy Network can also be found by clicking here
If you have any questions or feedback, please do not hesitate to contact the Facility Manager at the relevant site or call mecwacare on 1800 163 292.
Please note: In the event of an outbreak, mecwacare will contact the residents’ power of attorney or next of kin directly. It is their responsibility to notify other family members.
You can also email us at email@example.com
Thank you for your patience, understanding and support.
Stay safe and well.
Do you have a question about the coronavirus? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
3905 Frankston-Flinders Road
Shoreham Vic 3916
P: 03 5989 5588
111 Country Club Drive
Safety Beach Vic 3936
P: 03 5981 7288
12-14 Beulah Street
Hamlyn Heights Vic 3215
P: 03 5277 3081
mecwacare John Atchison Centre
312 - 318 Derrimut Road
Hoppers Crossing Vic 3028
P: 03 8015 2888
52 Northcote Avenue
Caulfield North Vic 3161
P: 03 8567 8288
1245 Malvern Road
Malvern Vic 3144
P: 03 9248 6100
mecwacare Noel Miller Centre
9-15 Kent Street
Glen Iris Vic 3146
P: 03 9835 2333
15 Hunter Road
Traralgon Vic 3844
P: 03 5174 4628
160 Mornington-Tyabb Road
Mornington Vic 3931
P: 03 5975 2700
mecwacare Rositano House
273 Church Street
Richmond Vic 3121
P: 03 9427 1404
13-25 Strabane Avenue
Mont Albert Nth Vic 3129
P: 03 9898 7404
70 Charles Street
Prahran Vic 3181
P: 03 9510 6100
125-135 Kenny Street
Westmeadows Vic 3049
P: 03 9333 3022